This recipe is my mom’s. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
- Oil – 1 tsp + 1 tsp divided
- Dry red chilli – 2
- Ginger – 1 tbsp, cut into small pieces
- Garlic – 2 big cloves, sliced
- Urad dal – 1 tbsp
- Mint – 2 cups, loosely packed
- Cilantro – 1/2 cup, loosely packed
- Tamarind – 1 tsp size ball
- Salt – to taste
- For seasoning:
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Urad dal – 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves – 6
- Pluck the leaves from the mint stalks. Wash and drain them.
- Wash and chop the cilantro.
- Heat 1 tsp of oil in a wok.
- Add dry red chillies and saute them until they puff up. Remove the chillies onto a plate.
- Add urad dal and saute them until they turn golden brown, stir continuously. Remove it onto the plate.
- Add 1 tsp of oil to the same wok and saute the ginger and garlic until the garlic turns golden brown. Remove it onto the plate.
- Saute mint and cilantro together until the water evaporates and they wilt. Remove it onto the plate.
- Let the roasted ingredients cool down completely.
- Grind the roasted ingredients along with tamarind, salt and 1/2 cup of water to a fine paste.
- Using the same wok; Heat 1 tbsp of oil.
- Add mustard seeds and wait till it splutters.
- Add urad dal and curry leaves. Saute until the urad dal turns golden brown.
- Add the ground mint chutney to the seasoning. Turn down the heat to low.
- Add 1/4 cup of water to the mixie jar in which you ground the chutney and swirl it around. Add it to the wok.
- Keep stirring occasionally and let the chutney cook for 3 minutes.
- Add salt if required.