The usual ratio of 2 cups rice and 1 cup urad dal does not workout while using the microwave to make idlis. They turn hard when it cools. Adding a cup of thick poha / aval to the usual ingredients results in soft idlis.
- Idli rice – 2 cups
- Urad dal – 1 cup
- Thick poha/aval – 1 cup
- Salt – to taste
- Water- as required
- Soak rice and urad dal in water overnight.
- Soak poha/aval for half an hour in water.
- Grind rice,urad dal and poha with water as required to a coarse or smooth batter.
- Add salt to taste.
- Mix them using your hand.
- Let it ferment overnight.
- The batter is ready to make idlis.
- If the weather is cold,the batter will not ferment if left outside.
- The batter can be left in the oven with the oven light on.
- Or the batter can be placed in a warm oven.