- Coconut pieces – 1 cup
- Potukadalai/ Dalia/ Roasted chana dal – 1 + 1/2 tbsps
- Serrano pepper/ green chilli – 1 tbsp , adjust according to taste
- Ginger pieces – 1 tbsp, adjust according to taste
- Salt – to taste
- Water – as required to grind the chutney
- Oil – 2 tsps
- Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/8 tsp
- Urad dal – 8 dals
- Chana dal – 6 dals
- Fenugreek seeds – 2 seeds
- Red chilli – 1
- Curry leaves – 5
- Hing – 4 pinches
- Cilantro – 3 strands, finely chopped
- Grind coconut pieces, ginger, green chilli, potukadalai and salt together using water as required to a fine paste.
- Prepare seasoning by heating oil in a small pan.
- Add mustard seeds and wait till it splutters.
- Add cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, chana dal, urad dal, red chilli and curry leaves.
- When the dals turn golden brown, turn off the heat and add hing and cilantro to it.
- Transfer the seasoning to the ground chutney and mix well.