I was searching for a good black forest cake to make for our wedding anniversary. There were many recipes online. But decided to stick with Brown eyed baker’s recipe.
Instead of using regular whipped cream frosting recipe, I used a stabilized whipped cream. Stabilized whipped cream holds its shape very well while frosting the cake and they don’t melt like regular whipped cream frosting.
I used canned cherries for the filling.
I did not have Kirsch. So I used the cherry liquid from the can and added a tbsp of Southern Comfort to it.
For a non-alcoholic version use the cherry liquid in the can.
Here is the breakdown of how I baked and assembled the cake:
- Day 1 : I baked the cake. Cling wrapped them and refrigerated the cake.
- Day 2 : I mixed the frosting and assembled the cake.
Ingredients for cake:
- Sugar – 2 cups
- All purpose flour – 1 + 3/4 cups
- Cocoa powder – 3/4 cup
- Baking powder – 1 + 1/2 tsp
- Baking soda – 1 + 1/2 tsp
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Egg – 2
- Whole milk – 1 cup
- Vegetable oil – 1/2 cup, I used Canola oil
- Vanilla extract – 2 tsp
- Boiling water – 1 cup
- Cherries – 15 oz can
- Kirsch or cherry juice – 1/4 cup
- Maraschino cherries – for decorating the cake
- Chocolate shavings – for decorating the cake
Ingredients for Stabilized Whipped Cream frosting:
- Unflavored gelatin – 1 + 1/2 tsp
- Cold water – 3 tbsps
- Heavy cream – 1 + 1/2 cups
- Confectioners sugar – 1/2 cup
- Vanilla extract – 2 tsp
Method for baking cake:
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Prepare two 9 inch cake pan by brushing them with butter. Place a circular piece of parchment paper in the bottom of the pan and brush it with butter. Sprinkle with flour and tap out the excess flour.
- Whisk the dry ingredients together using a stand mixer.
- Add eggs, vanilla, milk and oil. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Beat in the boiling water slowly with the mixer on low speed. The batter will become watery.
- Divide batter between the two prepared cake pans and bake for 30 minutes (until a cake tester comes out clean); rotate pan in between as it bakes.
- Let the cake cool down on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Remove cake from pan and let it cool down completely on a wire rack.
Method for soaking the cherries:
- Let the maraschino cherries sit on a paper towel to remove the syrup from it.
- Drain the canned cherries but reserve the juice.
- In a bowl, stir the canned cherries and Kirsch/cherry juice. Set it aside.
Method for stabilized whipped cream frosting:
- In a small saucepan, combine gelatin and cold water. Let it stand until thick.
- Place over low heat. Stir continuously until the gelatin dissolves.
- Remove from heat and let it cool down just a bit.
- Whip the cream with confectioners sugar until slightly thick.
- Slowly whip in the gelatin.
- Whip on high speed until stiff peaks form.( 1- 2 minutes)
- Whip in vanilla extract.
- Refrigerate until use.
Assembling the cake:
- Level the tops of the cakes.
- Apply little cream to the center of the cake platter and place the first layer on the platter. The cream will help the cake stay in place.
- Place the soaked cherries on the cake.
- Spoon some of the cherry liquid or Kirsch on the cake.(use the liquid you used to soak the cherries in).
- Spread whipped cream frosting on top of the cherries.
- Place the second cake layer and spoon some of the cherry liquid or Kirsch on the cake.(use the liquid you used to soak the cherries in).
- Frost the entire cake.
- Use chocolate shavings to decorate the sides of the cake.
- I used a 1M tip to pipe the frosting on top of the cake.
- Decorate the cake with Maraschino cherries.
- Refrigerate the cake until use. You can serve the cake cold.