Rava Idli is my favorite tiffin. My mom used to make rava idli using MTR ready made mix. It is really good. But since I started making it from scratch, I stopped buying MTR mix. I love mixing the batter and the taste is really good too. Give this recipe a try and you will be hooked on to it.
For soft rava idli’s, the batter consistency is important. The consistency should be between watery and thick. I used curd made from skim milk. I used coarse rava. But if you are going to use fine rava/sooji/semolina, the amount of water used might differ. So adjust the amount of water you add accordingly.
After adding baking soda to the batter, make idli’s immediately. I made rava idli’s for lunch and they were soft for dinner as well. I wrapped the idli’s in a damp paper towels and microwave them for 12 – 15 seconds.
I serve rava idli’s with cilantro coconut chutney. Click here for the recipe.
The ingredients below makes 14 rava idli’s.
- Ghee – 1 tbsp + more for roasting cashews and for greasing the idli plates
- Mustard seed – 1/4 tsp
- Channa dal – 1 tbsp
- Serrano pepper – 2 tsps, finely minced
- Curry leaves – 8
- Coarse Rava/sooji/semolina – 1 cup
- Curd/ Plain yogurt – 1 cup
- Water – 1/2 cup
- Salt – to taste
- Cilantro – 3 – 4 strands, chopped
- Carrot – 1/4 cup, finely grated
- Baking soda – 1/4 tsp
- Cashew – 7, broken into half for garnishing
- Heat 1 tbsp of ghee in a wok.
- Add mustard seeds and wait till it splutters.
- Add channa dal, serrano pepper and curry leaves.
- When the channa dal turns golden brown; add rava and keep stirring continuously for 1 minute.
- Turn off the heat. Let the rava mixture cool down a bit.
- Add curd and water.
- Add salt to taste. Mix well.
- Let the batter sit for 15 minutes.
- Roast the cashews in ghee until golden brown for garnishing.(optional)
- Grease idli plates with ghee.
- Place half a cashew in each idli mold and set it aside.
- Add carrots, cilantro and baking soda to the batter and mix well.
- Pour the batter into the idli molds and steam cook the idli’s.
- Serve hot idli’s with chutney.