I have been making maa vilakku for Karthigai Deepam for the past 4 or 5 years. It was not easy to make(atleast for me). After many fail attempts, I got it right.The consistency of the dough is important. If the dough is too watery, the lamp won’t hold its shape. So when you mix the dough after adding water, make sure you knead for at least 3-4 minutes after each addition of water. The heat from your hand and water will melt the jaggery as you mix. Use your hand to mix the dough. Add 1/2 tsp of water at a time to mix the dough.
- Rice flour – 1/2 cup
- Powdered jaggery – 1/2 cup
- Cardamom powder – 2 pinch
- Water – as required
- Mix rice flour, powdered jaggery and cardamom powder together in a bowl.
- Mix for 4 minutes using your hand.
- Add very little water(1/2 to 1 tsp) and mix well for 4 minutes.
- Add more water if required and mix really well after each addition until the dough comes together.
- Make a ball using the dough and shape it into a lamp.
- Place it on a plate.
- Add ghee and cotton wick.