Merry Christmas Dear Friends………..This is a simple fruit cake recipe that does not require soaking the fruits in alcohol. This recipe is from JoyOfBaking . I have included shahi jeera powder(black cumin seed powder) to it that gives it the taste of an Indian fruit cake. Simply grind the black cumin into a fine powder and use just 1/2 tsp for this recipe. The baked cake tasted better when it is wrapped in plastic wrap and consumed on the third day of baking.
- Light brown sugar – 1 cup
- Hot water – 1 cup
- Unsalted butter – 4 tbsps
- Ground cinnamon – 1 tsp
- Ground cloves – 1/2 tsp
- Ground ginger – 1 tsp
- Ground black cumin powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Raisins – 1 + 1/2 cup
- Candied and Chopped mixed peel – 1 cup
- Maraschino cherries – 10
- Large Eggs – 2, lightly beaten
- All purpose flour – 1 + 1/2 cups
- Baking soda – 1 tsp
- Vanilla extract – 1 tsp
- Butter a 9×5 inch loaf pan with butter.
- Cut a piece of parchment paper to fit the bottom of the loaf pan and let the parchment paper overhang from the long side of the loaf pan.
- Butter the parchment paper.
- Mix light brown sugar, water, butter,spices, raisins, cherries and candied peels in a sauce pan and bring it to a boil over medium heat.
- Let it boil for 5 minutes.
- Let the mixture cook down to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Add the beaten eggs into the fruit mixture and mix until well combined.
- Stir in the salt, flour,baking soda and vanilla extract.
- Pour this mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 45 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let it cool on a wire rack.
- When it cools down completely, wrap the cake using plastic wrap and let it rest on the counter for 2 days.