Kavuni arisi is a dessert I enjoyed in my childhood when relatives from Burma visited us. I love the texture of the rice. For more texture, you can add cooked black eyed peas to the pudding when you add the coconut milk. Add very little black eyed peas. The star of the dish is the black rice. The black eyed peas will cut down the sugar when you bite into it. The first time I had it in the US was at a Thai restaurant. They served it with warm coconut milk. Loved it. So my husband took me to Hong Kong market and we bought a bag of black rice. When I make Mohinga, I always pair it with Black rice pudding. Black rice takes longer to cook. You can also pressure cook the rice to speed up the cooking process.
- Black rice – 3/4 cup (soaked in water overnight or for 20 mins or pressure cook)
- Water – to cook the rice
- Sugar – 3/4 cup or according to taste
- Thick coconut milk – 1/4 cup
- Cooked black eyed peas -1/4 cup or less (optional)
- Drain the black rice and add it to a pan.
- Add water and cook the rice until the rice is cooked on medium heat.
- Keep stirring occasionally and make sure that the rice has enough water to cook in.
- The texture of black rice is like brown rice. It will not break apart like white rice.
- When the rice is cooked, switch to low heat.
- Add sugar and mix well.
- Let it cook for 3 minutes.
- Turn off the heat.
- Add coconut milk and cooked black eyed peas(optional).
- Mix well and enjoy.