Kolache is our family favourite. My husband used to get them for Shipley. I made stuffed buns when our friends came over. I made it using pizza dough. And there was a discussion regarding fillings and there was an idea that the dough will work out great with sausages. So I decided to try making kolaches at home from scratch.
I made Jalapeno and cheese kolaches for New Years eve. I used fresh Jalapeno slices and cheese singles. I used bun length sausages.
The recipe is from Confections of a foodie bride.
The recipe below yield 7 kolaches.
Ingredients for Dough:
- Active Dry Yeast – 1 + 1/8 tsp
- Water – 2 tbsps, warm water
- Milk – 1/2 cup warm milk
- Unsalted butter – 2 tbsps, melted and cooled
- Egg – 1
- Sugar – 1/4 cup+ 1 tbsp
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- All purpose flour – 2 cups+2 tbsps
Ingredients for filling:
- Bun length sausages – 7
- Jalapeno – sliced (optional)
- Cheese singles – 7
- Mix yeast and water in a large mixing bowl.
- Let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Add milk, egg, butter, sugar and salt. Whisk until well combined.
- Add flour and mix until just combined. The dough will be sticky.
- Cover the bowl with a wrap and let the dough raise in a warm place for 2 hours.
- Punch the dough or let it rest in the refrigerator overnight or for 4 hours.
- The dough will not raise a lot if refrigerated.( I refrigerated the dough, the result was perfect kolache)
- Divide dough into 7 balls and let them rest on a greased baking tray for 20 minutes.
- Roll the dough between your palm and elongate it to the length of the sausage.
- Roll the dough into a rectangle(approximately) big enough to place the sausage .
- Tear a cheese single into two long slices and place it on the rolled dough.
- Place jalapeno slices and sausage.
- Bring the two long ends together and pinch to close the seams.
- Pinch the two ends and close it.
- Roll the kolache on the counter like you roll a rolling pin to smoothen it.
- Place the kolache on a parchment lined cookie sheet greased with oil. Place them 2 inches apart.
- Let it rest until the oven preheats.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Bake kolaches for 25 minutes until they turn golden brown.
- Rotate baking sheet once as it bakes.