- Spinach – 1 bunch, rinsed and drained
- Toor dal – 1/2 cup
- Tomato – half a tomato chopped
- Garlic – 2 big or 4 small cloves, minced
- Salt – to taste
- Hing/ Asafoetida – 8 pinches
- Cilantro – for garnishing
- For Seasoning:
- Oil/ Ghee – for seasoning
- Mustard seeds – 1/8 tsp
- Curry leaves – 6 leaves
- Serrano pepper – 1, slight lengthwise
- Pressure cook toor dal, tomato, garlic and spinach together with water, salt and hing for 4 whistles.
- Mash the spinach-dal mixture.
- Add water as required to dilute the dal. If you are going to add more water, let the spinach dal mixture boil for 2 minutes.
- Prepare the seasoning by heating ghee/oil in a small pan.
- Add mustard seeds and wait till it splutters.
- Add curry leaves and serrano pepper.
- Turn off the heat and add the seasoning to the dal.
- Garnish with cilatro and mix well.
- Enjoy with a steaming bowl of rice.