These pancakes are light, fluffy and flavorful. This recipe is from Martha Stewart.
If you don’t have buttermilk, you can make your own. Mix 2 tsps of vinegar or lemon juice to 1 cup of milk and let it stand for 5-10 minutes. Use it in recipes that calls for buttermilk to make pancakes and cakes. The recipe below calls for 1 + 1/2 cups of buttermilk.
Check out my other recipe for pancakes using milk.
The recipe below yields 9 6-inch pancakes.
- All purpose flour – 1 cup
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
- Sugar – 1 + 1/2 tbsps
- Baking powder – 1 tsp
- Baking soda – 1/2 tsp
- Egg – 1
- Buttermilk – 1 + 1/2 cups
- Unsalted butter – 2 tbsps, melted
- Whisk flour, salt, sugar, baking powder and baking soda together in a bowl.
- Add egg, buttermilk and melted butter. Whisk to combine. The batter should have small to medium lumps in it.
- Heat a griddle by greasing it with butter or oil. (Cook on medium heat)
- Test the griddle by sprinkling water on it. The water must sizzle immediately.
- Pour batter on the hot griddle.
- The batter will spread on its own.
- Bubbles will appear on the pancake.
- When the edges of the pancake looks slightly dry(for approximately 2 and a 1/2 minutes); flip the pancake and cook the other side (for approximately 1 minute).
- You can notice the bottom side turn golden brown; remove the pancake onto a plate.
- Serve hot with warm maple syrup.