Modakam`s are rice flour dumplings with a sweet filling. It is made during Vinayaka Chaturthi as offerings to Lord Vinayaka. The filling is made out of white sesame seeds/ellu/til , shredded coconut, powdered jaggery and cardamom powder. Sesame seeds adds flavor to the filling.The sweet filling is called, Pooranam.
The rice dumplings can be made into any shape. You can make round,hill shaped or semi circle shaped kozhukattai`s.
To get perfect shapes,a modakam mold has to be used. You can get them in India.
The ingredients below makes 6 to 7 modakam’s.
- Rice flour – 1/2 cup
- Water – 1/2 cup + 2 tbsps
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
- Oil – 1 tsp plus more for greasing the modakam mold
For the filling:
- Shredded coconut – 5 tbsps
- White or Black Sesame seed/ellu/til – 1 tbsp
- Jaggery – 5 tbsps, grated
- Cardamom powder – 2 pinches
Method for filling:
View original post 293 more words