I recently purchased a cast iron wok and it is my current favorite kitchen utensil. I used to think that you can make a good potato fry only using non stick pan. But a good seasoned cast iron wok can give you the same result. For a crisp potato fry, be generous with the oil and do not overcrowd the pan with lots of potatoes.
- Oil – for sauteing
- Cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves – 6 to 8 leaves
- Potatoes – 2 + 1/2 cups, diced
- Salt – to taste
- Chili powder – 2 tsps, add according to taste
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Ground cumin – 1/2 to 1 tsp , optional
- Hing/ Asafoetida – 6 pinches
- Heat oil in a wok.
- Add cumin seeds and let it crackle.
- Add curry leaves and potatoes. Keep stirring at regular intervals.
- When the potatoes turn lightly golden; add salt, chili powder, turmeric powder, hing and ground cumin(optional).
- Saute until the potatoes are fully cooked and crisp. Don’t forget to stir at regular intervals.
- For crisp potatoes, add more oil after you add the chili powder.
For a simple potato fry; Use oil, potatoes, salt, turmeric powder and chili powder. Follow the method above.