I make lemon rice pretty often when I am stuck thinking about what to cook. Lemon rice and potatoes are the perfect combination. We go on picnics to the park and lemon rice is always part of the menu. We make tamarind rice,lemon rice and curd rice with potatoes and egg . We finish up with watermelons. This recipe of Tamil Nadu style lemon rice is my mom’s. Hope you enjoy it.
- Uncooked Raw rice – 1 + 1/4 cup
- Oil – for sauteing
- Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Channa dal – 1 tsp
- Ginger – 2 tbsps, finely minced
- Curry leaves – 8 leaves
- Serrano pepper – 2, cut lengthwise
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Lemon juice – 1/4 cup, juice from 2 big lemons
- Salt – to taste
- Cilantro – for garnishing
- Cook rice and let it cool down.
- Heat oil in a wok.
- Add mustard seeds and wait till it splutters.
- Add channa dal, ginger, curry leaves and serrano pepper.
- Saute until the channa dal turns golden brown.
- Add turmeric powder and lemon juice. Let it cook for 30 seconds.
- Turn off the heat. Add salt and cilantro; mix well.
- Add the cooled rice and mix gently until well combined.
- Serve with side dish of your choice.