My mom used to make pavakkai almost every week when I was a kid. I hated them and never used to eat them. Now I started liking the bitter taste of pavakkai. It tastes good with any dal gravy or curd rice. If you fry them crisp(let it brown), it will not be extremely bitter.
- Pavakkai/ bitter gourd – 2 cups, chopped
- Oil – for sauteing, plus more
- Chili powder – 1 + 1/2 tsps
- Salt – to taste
- Hing/ Asafoetida – 6 pinches
- Heat oil in a wok.
- Add the chopped pavakkai and add salt to taste.
- Saute until the pavakkai is almost cooked. Keep stirring at regular intervals.
- Add chili powder, hing and more oil( 1 – 2 tsps of oil. The oil should not stagnate at the bottom).
- Switch to low heat.
- Keep stirring frequently to prevent the pavakkai’s from burning.
- Taste the pavakkai. It should be a bit crisp.