A good cupcake must have a little bump on the top and must not be flat. The top of the cupcake must not sink when the cupcake cools. This recipe is from Sally’s Baking Addiction. These cupcakes are moist and flavorful.
White chocolate frosting is not too sweet and holds its shape well after pipping the frosting.
If you do not have any frosting tips, simply fill a Ziplock bag with frosting and cut one corner of the bag and pipe the frosting. A very quick way of frosting cupcakes is to smear the frosting using a butter knife. Check out the image at the bottom of the page.
I make my own color sugar at home. Mix few drops of gel food color or liquid food color to plain granulated sugar. Don’t they look pretty on top of the cupcakes?
The ingredients below makes 12 cupcakes.
Ingredients for Vanilla/ White cupcakes:
- All-purpose flour – 1 + 2/3 cup
- Baking powder – 1/2 tsp
- Baking soda – 1/4 tsp
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Unsalted butter – 1/2 cup melted
- Yogurt – 1/4 cup
- Buttermilk – 3/4 cup
- Egg whites – 2
- Vanilla extract – 2 tsp
Method for baking cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Line a muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set it aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl melt butter and whisk in the sugar. The mixture will be grainy.
- Whisk in yogurt, buttermilk and vanilla extract and mix until combined.
- Slowly mix the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients until the batter is lump free.
- Using a hand mixer beat the egg whites separately until thick and foamy. Fold into the cupcake batter.
- Fill the prepared cupcake pan with batter and bake for 25 minutes. Test if it is done by inserting a toothpick in the center and see if it comes out clean. Rotate the pan halfway as it bakes.
- Let the cupcakes cool down on a wire rack for 5 minutes.
- Remove the cupcakes from the pan and let them cool down completely on a wire rack.
Ingredients for White chocolate frosting:
- White chocolate – 6 ounce ( 170 grams), melted and cooled
- Unsalted butter – 1 cup, at room temperature
- Confectioner’s sugar – 2 cups
- Vanilla extract – 1 tsp
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
- Heavy cream or milk – approximately 1 tbsp
Method for White chocolate frosting:
- Beat the butter on medium speed for a minute.
- Add confectioner’s sugar and keep whisking until combined.
- Stir the cooled white chocolate and add it to the butter-sugar mixture.
- Whisk for 2 minutes until creamy.
- Whisk in the vanilla extract and salt.
- Whisk in the heavy cream little by little until the frosting reaches the consistency you desire. Whisk for 1-2 minutes.
- I used Wilton 2D tip to frost the cupcakes.
- Work from the outside of the cupcake and move your hand in a circle until you reach the center of the cupcake.