My daughter does not eat greens if I make poriyal, so I try to make spinach chapathi or spinach pasta. She happily enjoys her spinach meal. You can try skipping heavy cream in the recipe but you have to reduce the amount of Serrano pepper and garlic. Heavy cream cuts down the spice level.
- Spinach – 1 bunch (chopped, washed and drained)
- Oil – for sauteing
- Garlic – 3/4 tbsp, chopped
- Serrano pepper – 3/4 tbsp, chopped
- Salt – to taste
- Elbow macaroni or pasta of your choice – 2 cups
- Heavy cream – 1/4 cup + 2 tbsps
- Parmesan cheese – for garnishing (optional)
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add garlic and Serrano pepper. Saute until the garlic turns golden brown.
- Add the chopped spinach and cook until the spinach wilts.
- Add salt to taste and turn off the heat. Let the spinach cool down completely.
- Cook the pasta by following the directions on the box and drain them.
- Grind the spinach into a fine paste using very little water.
- Return the spinach mixture to the same pan and turn on the heat.
- When the spinach puree starts to boil, add heavy cream and salt.
- Let it cook for a minute. Turn off the heat.
- Toss in the cooked pasta and top with Parmesan cheese.