I add dried basil to my cabbage poriyal. It is optional. But I think that dried basil elevates the flavor of cabbage.
- Yellow moong dal – 2 tbsps + 1 tsp
- Oil – for sauteing
- Mustard seeds – 1/8 tsp
- Channa dal – 1 tsp
- Onion – 1/4 cup, chopped
- Curry leaves – 6
- Serrano pepper – 1 and a 1/2 pepper slight length-wise
- Cabbage – 3.5 – 4 cups, chopped
- Salt – to taste
- Hing/ Asafoetida – few pinches
- Dried basil – 1/8 tsp
- Wash the moong dal.
- Heat water in a small sauce pan and cook the moong dal in it. Add water to the saucepan if the water evaporates before the moong dal is cooked.
- Take one cooked moon dal and squish it using your finger. If you can squish it; it is done. Turn off the heat and set it aside. Do not overcook the dal.
- Heat oil in a wok.
- Add mustard seeds and wait till it splutters.
- Add chana dal and keep stirring continuously until the dal turns golden brown.
- Add onions, curry leaves and Serrano pepper. Saute until the onion turns light golden brown.
- Add chopped cabbage and saute until the cabbage is almost done.
- Add salt to taste and hing.
- When the cabbage is cooked, turn off the heat.
- Drain the moong dal using a slotted spoon and add it to the cabbage.
- Add dried basil and mix well.