Paruppu urundai kulambu / vada kulambu is a spicy coconut gravy with channa dal duplings. The dumplings/vadai is steam cooked and then transferred to the coconut gravy to soak. This gravy can be served with white rice and fryums. Works well with chapathi/dosa too. This recipe is from my mom. Hope you enjoy.
Ingredients for vadai/channa dal dumplings:
- Channa dal – 1/2 cup, soaked overnight in water
- Onion – 1/4 cup, finely chopped
- Salt – to taste
- Fennel seeds – 1/4 tsp
Method for making vadai/channa dal dumplings:
- Soak channa dal overnight in water.
- Drain the soaked dal and grind it to a coarse paste without adding water. ( can grind it coarse or almost fine)
- Add salt, onion, and fennel seeds to the ground channa dal and mix well.
- Make small balls or squish them gently with your fingers and palm and make small vadai’s.
- Steam cook the vadai. Set them aside.
Ingredients for Gravy:
- Oil – for sauteing
- Mustard seeds – 1/8 tsp
- Onions – 1 cup, chopped
- Curry leaves – 6
- Turmeric – 1/4 tsp
- Tomato – 1, chopped
- Chili powder – 2 tsps, adjust according to taste
- Salt – to taste
- Water – 1 + 3/4 cups
- Cilantro – for garnishing
- Grind to a fine paste using water(Coconut paste):
- Shredded coconut – 1/4 cup
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Fennel seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon stick – 1 inch
Method for making gravy:
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add mustard seeds and wait till it splutters
- Add onions and curry leaf.
- Saute until the onions turn golden brown.
- Add turmeric and chopped tomatoes.
- Saute until the tomatoes lose shape.
- Add chili powder and saute for 25 seconds.
- Add the coconut paste to the onion mixture and let it boil for 1 minute.
- Add 1 + 3/4 cups of water and salt to taste.
- When the gravy begins to boil, add the steamed vadai’s/channa dal dumplings and let it boil for 2 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and garnish with cilantro.
- The gravy will be a bit watery but the vadai’s will soak the water up and make the gravy thicker.
The vadai’s / channa dal dumplings have to soak in the gravy, so make this gravy 20- 30 minutes ahead of serving.