I came across this recipe from The Kitchn. I quadrupled the recipe and tried it. The result was a creamy mac and cheese. When I make comfort foods, I don’t count calories. I used whole milk. But 2% milk should be fine too.
The original recipe says to cook the pasta al dente. But I fully cooked the pasta. I like it that way.
I love mustard. So, I added Dijon mustard as well. You can add your favorite mustard.
Below are the ingredients for single serve mac and cheese.
- Elbow macaroni – 1/2 cup
- Water – 1/2 cup
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
- Milk – 1/4 cup, any type of milk
- Medium Cheddar cheese – 1/2 cup, shredded
- Dijon mustard – 1/2 tsp (optional)
- In a microwave safe bowl; mix macaroni, water and salt.
- Microwave in 2 minute increments and stirring each time until the pasta is al dente.
- If the water evaporates before the pasta is cooked, add a tbsp of water to cook it.
- Stir in milk, cheddar cheese and Dijon mustard.
- Microwave in 30 seconds interval until the cheese melts and turns creamy. Stir each time you heat it up.
- Do not overheat the mac and cheese after you add milk and cheese.