Jeera rice is flavored with whole spices. I do not add a lot of salt to it. It is a fancy way of dressing up plain rice. It can be served with paneer gravy, mushroom gravy, any vegetarian gravy or non-vegetarian gravy. I goes really well with Channa masala.
You can use Shahi Jeera or cumin seeds.
I cook the rice with all the ingredients in a rice pot with lots of water and drain the water. You can also use a rice cooker to cook the rice.
- Basmathi rice – 1 + 1/2 cups, washed and soaked in water until the water boils
- Water – as required
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Shahi Jeera or Cumin seeds – 1 tbsp
- Cardamom – 2
- Cinnamon stick – 1 stick
- Bay leaf -1
- Salt – 3 -4 pinches / or season the water according to taste
- Mint leaves – for garnishing, optional
- Boil water in a rice pot.
- Add oil, shahi jeera, cardamom, cinnamon, bay leaf and salt.
- Add the washed rice and let it cook until it is almost done.
- Drain the water from the rice.
- Add chopped mint leaves.(optional)
- Mix gently and serve.