As a tribute to late Chef Jacob, I would like to post a recipe from his TV show Aaha Enna Rusi . He made a Kongu Nadu dish called Arisi Paruppu Sadham. Seeraga Samba/Jeera Samba rice is the one that elevates the flavor to the next level but it tastes just fine with Sona Masoori rice or any raw rice variety.
Onion raita goes really well with this rice but it can be served with any side dish that you serve with Sambar rice.
- Toor dal – 75 grams
- Green moong dal – 75 grams
- Seeraga Samba rice – 250 grams
- Ghee – 3 tbsps
- Cashew -10
- Raisins -15
- Cinnamon stick -1
- Cloves -2
- Jathipathri – a few
- Salt – to taste
- Grind to a coarse powder:
- Whole black pepper – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Fennel seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Dry red chilli – 2
- Soak both the dal’s together for 2 hours.
- Soak rice for 5 minutes.
- Heat ghee in the bottom pan of a pressure cooker.
- Fry cashews and raisins in the ghee in remove only the cashews and raisins using a slotted spoon and set them aside.
- In the same pan, add cinnamon stick, cloves and jathipathri. Saute for few seconds.
- Add 1/2 cup of water and the ground spices. Let it boil for a minute.
- Drain the soaked dal and rice. Add them to the boiling spice mixture.
- Add 4 cups of water and salt to taste.
- Pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Add the fried cashews and raisins to the cooked dal-rice mixture and mix well.