Karuveppilai podi/ curry leaf powder can be used as a side dish for dosa/ildi. Mix the powder with sesame oil and enjoy.
- Oil – 1/2 tbsp + 1 tbsp
- Curry leaves – 2 cups, washed and pat dried
- Dry red chilli – 6
- Channa dal – 1/4 cup
- Urad dal – 2 tbsps
- Cumin seeds – 1 tbsp
- Corriander seeds – 1 tbsp + 1/2 tbsp
- Hing – 1/8 tsp
- Tamarind – 1 heaping teaspoon of tamarind
- Salt – to taste
- Heat 1/2 tbsp of oil in a wok.
- Add the curry leaves and keep stirring until they turn crisp.
- Remove the curry leaves onto a plate to cool.
- Add 1 tbsp of oil to the same wok and fry the dry red chillies for a minute.
- Remove the chillies and let them cool.
- Add channa dal, urad dal, cumin seeds, coriander seeds and hing to the wok and fry them in medium heat until they turn a bit darker than golden brown. Keep stirring continuously.
- Remove them onto a plate and let it cool down completely.
- When the ingredients have cooled down completely; grind the curry leaves, chilli, dal mixture, tamarind and salt together in a mixer into a coarse powder.
- Taste the powder by mixing it with little sesame oil or any cooking oil to check the salt level.Add more salt if required.
- Store the karuveppilai podi/ curry leaf powder in an air tight container.