My friend Suneetha gave me this recipe and since then, it has been a staple at our home. You have to add lots of vegetables and they have to be minced up real small. I have a small food processor that works well. I add vegetables like carrot, beans, peas, green bell pepper and cabbage. The bell pepper gets a bit watery when I mince it in my food processor. But do not worry, the water will evaporate when you saute it. You don’t have to mince the peas.
- Basmathi rice or any long grained rice – 2 cups of uncooked rice
- Olive oil – For sauteing, double the amount of oil you use regularly
- Ginger – 2 tbsps, finely minced
- Serrano pepper – 1, slight lengthwise
- Mixed vegetables – 3 cups, finely minced
- Sriracha hot chili sauce – 2 tbsps
- Soy sauce – 2 tbsps
- Rice Vinegar -1 tbsp (optional)
- Salt – 1 + 1/2 tsp (adjust according to taste)
- Pepper powder – according to taste
- Cook the basmathi rice and let it cool down completely.
- Heat oil in a wok.
- Add the ginger pieces and saute for few seconds.
- Add the minced vegetables and serrano pepper. Saute until the vegetables are almost done.
- Add Sriracha hot chili sauce, soy sauce and rice vinegar.
- Saute for few minutes and turn off the heat.
- Add salt and mix well.
- Add the cooked vegetables to the cooled rice and mix it gently.
- Add pepper powder if you like a spicy fried rice.
Serve Sriracha fried rice with any creamy vegetarian gravy or non-vegetarian gravy. A simple raita will work too.