I purchased a bag of ripe bananas from a local grocery store. There was a recipe for banana bread on the bag. I tried it and the recipe is a keeper. The bread has a cake like texture.
If you have just one banana at home, try making Paniyaram.
The ingredients below makes one loaf of banana bread.
- Sugar – 3/4 cup
- Butter – 8 tbsps, plus more for the pan at room temperature
- Eggs – 2
- Baking soda – 1 tsp
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- All purpose flour – 1 cup, plus more for the pan
- Whole wheat flour – 1 cup, I used chapathi flour
- Very ripe large bananas – 3, mashed
- Walnut or any nuts – 1/2 cup, chopped
- Vanilla Extract – 1 tsp
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Grease a 9 x 5 x 3″ loaf pan with butter.
- Dust the pan with flour and tap out the excess flour
- Sift all-purpose flour, wheat flour, baking soda and salt together in a bowl.
- Beat butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer until creamy.
- Add eggs and beat until well combined.
- Add vanilla extract and mix.
- Add the flour mixture little by little to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Add the mashed bananas and chopped nuts. Mix until well combined.
- Pour the batter into the greased loaf pan and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes, rotate the pan half way through baking (or until a cake tester comes out clean).
- Let the bread cool down in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Remove the bread from the pan and let it cool down completely on a wire rack.