Samosa is a popular snack throughout India. I have this fail proof recipe from Manjul’s Kitchen that works like a charm.
The filling is made with potatoes and peas. But you can also use your own potato filling and use mixed vegetables too.
The recipe below makes 10 medium size samosa’s.
Ingredients for the samosa crust:
- All purpose flour – 1 cup
- Rava/ Sooji – 1 tsp
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Oil – 3 tbsps
- Luke warm Water – as required
- Oil – for deep frying.
- Mix flour, rava, salt and oil in a bowl.
- Add water as required and mix the flour-mixture to form a soft dough. Keep kneading until you get a smooth dough.
- Cover the bowl and let the dough rest for 20 minutes.
Ingredients for filling:
- Potatoes – 3 cups, chopped
- Oil – 2 tbsps
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Hing/ asafoetida – 4 pinches
- Serrano pepper – 2 tsps, de-seeded and finely chopped
- Peas – 1/4 cup, boiled peas or use frozen peas
- Corriander powder – 2 tsp
- Chilli powder – 1/2 tsp, adjust according to taste
- Garam masala – 1 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Boil potatoes in water and strain them.
- Use a potato masher or a fork and mash the potatoes lightly.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add cumin seeds and wait till it splutters.
- Reduce heat and add serrano pepper, peas, corriander powder,chilli powder, hing and salt.
- Saute for 3 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and add the potatoes.
- Add salt to taste and mix well.
- Let the filling cool down a bit.
- Divide the filling into 10 balls and set them aside.
Assembling the samoa:
- Divide the dough into 5 balls and set them aside.
- Take one ball of dough and roll it out flat in the shape of a circle.
- Use a knife and cut the circle into a semi-circle.
- Fold the semi-circle into a cone.
- Wet the orange lines in the photos with water. It helps to seal the samosa. Follow the picture tutorial and make a cone.
- Fill the cone with a ball of filling.
- Seal the samosa and pinch the edges to make a tight seal.
- Follow the above method to assemble all the samosa’s.
- Heat oil in a pan to deep fry the samosa’s.
- Add the samosa’s to the oil and cook on medium heat.
- Serve hot samosa’s with or without condiments.