A friend of mine suggested I try the recipe for kalakand from Show me the curry.
I tried it and it was simple and tasted so good. Since then, I make it for Diwali. Adding rose essence adds more flavor to the dessert.I grind the nuts to a coarse(almost fine) powder and sprinkle it on the kalakand.
- Ricotta Cheese – 15oz
- Condensed Milk – 14oz
- Rose essence – few drops,use as required
- Cardamom powder – 1/4 tsp
- Almonds – for garnishing
- Pistachios – for garnishing
- Mix ricotta cheese and condensed milk in an eight inch glass dish.
- Use a whisk to mix it until well combined.
- Microwave the mixture for 5 minutes.
- Remove from microwave, mix it and let it cook for 3 minutes
- Stir again. Let it cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir and let it cook for 2 more minutes.
- Stir the mixture and let it cook for 6 minutes.
- Stir and cook again for 2 minutes.
- The result will be a crumbly but a bit moist kalakand.
- Adjust time according to your wish, but in the end the mixture has to crumbly and a bit moist.
- Stir in rose essence and cardamom and mix well.
- Spread the kalakand evenly in the dish using a spatula.
- Grind almonds and pistachios together to a fine or coarse powder and sprinkle it over the kalakand.
- Press it down gently using a spatula.
- Let the kalakand cool down and refrigerate it.
- Cut it into desired shape and serve.