This is a warm chocolate cake recipe. Chocolate flows out of the cake when the cake is cut. Perfect serving size to satisfy chocolate craving. Instant coffee powder and chocolate goes hand in hand in this warm gooey chocolate dessert. There is nothing complicated in this recipe. Surprise your valentine with this chocolate dessert that can be served with vanilla ice-cream. Can be served with fresh strawberry too. Make any day a special one with this wonderful cake.
I used nestle instant coffee. Since they are granular, I added the coffee powder to the chocolate and butter mixture and melted them together. Even if they don’t melt completely, don’t worry. They will melt when the cake is baked.
The ingredients below yields 2 molten mocha cakes.
- Unsalted butter – 2 tbsps, plus more for coating the ramekins
- Confectioner’s sugar – 1/3 cup, plus more for dusting the ramekins
- Semi sweet chocolate chips – 2 oz
- Instant coffee powder – 1 tsp
- Egg – 1
- Egg yolk – 1
- Salt – a pinch
- All-purpose flour – 3 tbsps
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Butter two 6oz ramekins.
- Dust the ramekins with confectioner’s sugar and tap out the excess.
- Place butter, chocolate and coffee powder in a microwave safe bowl and microwave in 20 seconds increments , stirring after each, until the mixture has melted. Do not worry if the coffee powder has not melted.
- Let the mixture cool down a bit.
- In another bowl, whisk together egg, egg yolk, sugar and salt until well combined.
- Add the chocolate mixture to the egg mixture and whisk until well combined.
- Add flour and mix until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the ramekins and bake for 12 minutes. Rotate the ramekins in between.
- The cake is ready when a toothpick inserted 1/2 inch from the edge of the ramekins comes out clean. The center will be wet.
- Let the ramekins cool down on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Run a toothpick around the edges of the ramekins to loosen the cake.
- Invert the ramekins onto a plate and serve immediately.