Pizza is easy to make at home and requires few basic ingredients. You need to follow instructions to make the crust but can customize the toppings as required.
I mixed the dough in the afternoon and let it rest until dinner.
The pizza sauce is a spicy version.
I did not have ripe tomatoes, so had to use half a can of tomatoes.
The ingredients below yields one large pizza.
- Milk – 1/2 cup
- Water – 1/2 cup
- Dry Yeast – 2 + 1/2 tsp
- Sugar – 1/4 tsp
- All purpose flour – 2+1/2 cups
- Olive oil – 1 tbsp, I ran out of olive oil and used canola instead.
- Salt – 2 tsp
Ingredients for Pizza Sauce:
- Oil – 1tsp
- Garlic – 3 small cloves, minced
- Serrano pepper – 1/2 a pepper
- Tomatoes – 3 very ripe tomatoes, ground into a fine paste without adding water.
- Salt – to taste
- Pepper powder – to taste
- Dried Basil – 1/4 tsp or more
- Bell pepper
- mozzarella Cheese – as required.
Method to prepare pizza dough:
- Mix milk and water in a sauce pan and heat it for a minute until it is luke warm.
- Mix yeast and sugar in a large mixing bowl and add the milk mixture to the yeast mix.
- Mix well and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Stir in olive oil and salt.
- Add flour and mix until the dough comes together.
- Knead the dough on a lightly floured counter for 15 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Brush the large mixing bowl with olive oil and place the dough in it.
- Spray the dough with olive oil and cover the bowl.
- Let the dough rest on the counter at room temperature for three hours or more. Or place it in the refrigerator overnight for the dough to raise slowly.
Method for making tomato sauce:
- Heat oil in a saucepan.
- Add the minced garlic and Serrano pepper. Saute until the garlic turns golden brown.
- Add the ground tomatoes.
- When the water from the tomatoes reduces, add salt, pepper and basil.
- Turn off the heat and remove the Serrano peppers from the sauce.
Assembling the pizza:
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Punch the dough when you are ready to make the pizza.
- Place the dough on a pizza plate or stone and spread it out.
- Make sure that the edges are thicker
- Prick the base of the pizza with a fork to prevent the pizza from rising in the center.
- Spray the center of the pizza with olive oil.
- Apply a thin layer of tomato sauce.
- Garnish with vegetables and top off with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in the oven until the cheese and the edges are brown. Approximately 15 minutes. Check the pizza often.
- Cut the pizza into wedges and serve.