I don’t make anything fancy for Valentines day because we celebrate our wedding anniversary two days before Valentines Day. Baking two cakes in a week always sounds too heavy. So last year I made this small cake for Valentines day that turned out great. It looked cute and tasted great.
I made two chocolate cupcakes in two 6 oz ramekins and covered them using a simple chocolate frosting.
I don’t have the exact measures for the chocolate frosting. You cannot go wrong with the frosting. Use heavy cream as required to dilute the chocolate ( helps to spread the frosting easily).
Ingredients for cake:
- All purpose flour – 2 tbsps
- Unsweetened cocoa powder – 2 tbsps
- Baking powder – 2 pinches
- Salt – a pinch
- Unsalted butter – 4 tbsps, at room temperature
- Sugar – 1/4 cup
- Egg – beat 1 egg and use just half of it
- Vanilla extract – 1/4 tsp
- Sour Cream – 1 tbsp
Ingredients for icing:
- Semi sweet chocolate chips
- Heavy cream
Method for cake:
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Coat two 6 oz ramekins with butter.
- Cut two circle parchment papers and place it at the bottom of the ramekins and coat the ramekins with butter again.
- In a bowl, sift flour,cocoa and baking powder.
- Add salt to it and mix well. Set it aside.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and beat till well combined.
- Add vanilla and sour cream. Mix well.
- Add the flour mixture and mix until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared ramekins and bake until a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Keep an eye on the cakes, they may cook in approximately 15 mins or less.
- Let the cakes cool in the ramekins for 5 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the ramekins and let them cool on a wire rack.
Method for icing:
- Melt chocolate chips in a microwave or double boiler.
- Add little heavy cream to it and mix well.
Assembling the cake:
- I used a margarita glass as a base.
- Fill it with flowers or marbles.
- Cut a circle using box cardboard a bit bigger than the width of the margarita glass and cover it with foil.
- Place the first cake on it and cover it with frosting.
- Place the second cake on it and cover the entire cake with frosting.
- Place few maraschino cherries on top of it.
- I have decorated the cake by using melted chocolate pipped using a ziplock bag.