Happy Thanksgiving. Since Thanksgiving is a few days away, I decided to do a trial run. I followed the recipe from this video and it turned out great. There are few changes that I would make to the chicken on Thanksgiving day.
The vegetable burned before the chicken was done. So I would suggest adding raw vegetables to the roasting pan and to remove the vegetables from the pan if it burns.
- Whole chicken with skin – 1
- Lemon – 1/2 a lemon
- Fresh Thyme – 5 springs
- Olive oil – use as required
- Salt – for seasoning
- Pepper – for seasoning
- Celery – 4 sticks, chopped into big chunks
- Carrot – 3, chopped into big chunks
- Onion – 1, diced
- Fresh Rosemary – few springs
- Garlic – 1 bulb, peeled(chopped into big pieces)
- Butter – 2 Tbsps
- Bay leaf – 2
- Chicken stock – 150 ml
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Clean the insides of the chicken.
- Wash the chicken with turmeric powder and water.
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel.
- Rub the insides of the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Poke the thyme springs into the lemon and place it inside the chicken.
- Spray olive oil over the chicken and season the entire chicken with salt and pepper.
- Try to reach the flesh below the skin of the chicken and season it.
- Tie the chicken legs using a twine and tuck the wings under the chicken.
- Heat 3 tbsps of olive oil in a pan and roast the chicken in it. Keep flipping the chicken so it browns on all the four sides.
- Remove the chicken onto a plate.
- In the same pan, melt the butter.
- Spread the chopped vegetables in a roasting pan and season it with some salt and pepper.
- Throw in the bay leaves, rosemary and the melted butter.
- Place the roasted chicken on the vegetables(place chicken on its back) and let it cook in the oven for 30 minutes( use the middle rack).
- Remove the chicken from the oven and baste the chicken with the juices in the pan.
- Return it to the oven for 30 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock to the roasting pan and baste the chicken again with the juices from the pan.
- If the vegetables begin to burn, remove them from the roasting pan.
- Let the chicken cook for 20 minutes.
- To check if the chicken is cooked, insert a knife into the thigh of the chicken and slice it. It should be white and not pink.
- Remove the twine before serving.
For a spicy chicken use chilli powder and finely chopped ginger to season the chicken. Try adding chicken 65 masala powder.