We bought a packet of instant pesarattu mix at the Indian store and decided to try it out. Since we liked it, I googled for recipes and mixed up various recipes and tried to make pesarattu from scratch. It came out well. Pesarattu is an Andhra delicacy. It is a good alternative to dosa. It does not require fermentation. Can be had with coconut chutney.
- Whole green moong dal – 1 cup
- Raw rice – 3 tbsps
- Green serrano pepper – 1 + 1/2 tbsps, chopped ( can substitute with green chilli according to taste)
- Ginger – 1 inch, chopped
- Hing/ Asafoetida – 6 pinches
- Salt – to taste
- Soak green moong dal and rice overnight in water.
- The longer it soaks, the easier it is to grind.
- Grind the soaked dal, rice, ginger, serrano pepper, hing and salt together using water.
- The consistency should be like the dosa batter.
- Make pesarattu’s like dosa.