For my hundredth post, I would like to post the cake I make for our wedding anniversary – ‘Tres Leches’ which means three milk. It is a simple sponge cake soaked in a mixture of three types of milk – heavy cream, evaporated milk and condensed milk.
I baked the sponge cake from scratch. You can get a cake mix and soak the cake in the milk mixture. I baked the cake and let it soak in milk a day in advance and frosted it just before cutting the cake.
In our case, the cake tasted really good on the second day and the frosting remained stable. but the cake can be had after letting it soak overnight.
Ingredients for Sponge Cake:
- Large Eggs – 5
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Vanilla Extract – 1 tsp
- All purpose flour -1 cup
- Baking Powder – 1 + 1/2 tsp
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
- Milk – 1/3 cup, I used Skim milk
Ingredients for Milk Mixture:
- Evaporated milk -12 oz
- Sweetened Condensed Milk -14 oz
- Heavy Cream -1/4 cup
Ingredients for Whipped Cream Frosting:
- Heavy Cream – 2 cups
- Sugar – 3 tbsps
Method for Sponge Cake and Milk Mixture :
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Coat a 9 x13 inch pan with butter.
- Mix all purpose flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- Separate the egg whites and egg yolks.
- Mix egg yolks and 3/4 cup sugar in a mixing bowl until they turn pale yellow.
- Stir in milk and vanilla extract.
- Pour the egg yolk mixture into the flour mixture and mix gently until well combined.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Stir in the remaining 1/4 cup sugar and beat till peaks form.
- Fold the egg white mixture into the flour-egg yolk mixture and mix until well combined. Do not over mix.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan.
- Spread the cake batter evenly and bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Rotate the pan once as it bakes for even baking.
- Let the cake cool in the pan completely.
- Use a fork and poke holes on the cake as close together as possible.
- Mix evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk and heavy cream in a large bowl.
- Pour the milk mixture evenly over the cake using a ladle.
- Refrigerate the cake.
Method for icing:
- Whip heavy cream and sugar until it turns thick and spreadable.
- Frost the cake with the icing and top the cake with fresh fruits.
- Refrigerate the cake overnight.
- Best served chilled.