Pidi kozhukattai’s are made specially during karthigai deepam. Kaara kozhukattai and innipu kozhukattai’s are made on this day. This is my mom’s recipe.
Ingredients for Kaara Kozhukattai:
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/8 tsp
- Chana dal – 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves – 5 leaves
- Red chilli -1
- Coconut – 1 tbsp, cut into small pieces
- Water – 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Rice flour – 1/2 cup
Method for making Kaara Kozhukattai:
- Heat oil in a non stick pan.
- Add mustard seeds and wait till it splutters.
- Add the curry leaves, chana dal and red chilli.
- When the chana dal turns golden brown, remove the red chilli and add water and coconut pieces to it.
- Add salt to taste.
- When the water boils, add the rice flour and stir continuously for a minute.
- Remove from heat.
- When the dough is warm enough to handle, make small balls of kozhukattai and squeeze it gently.
- Place kozhukattai’s in an idli steamer and steam cook them.
Ingredients for Jaggery/ Innipu Kozhukattai:
- Powdered Jaggery – 1 cup
- Water – 1 cup
- Cardamom powder – 2 pinches
- Coconut pieces – 2 + 1/2 tbsps
- Rice flour – 1 cup
Method for making Jaggery/ Innipu Kozhukattai:
- Boil water in a non stick pan.
- Add cardamom powder, coconut pieces and rice flour.
- Mix continuously till well combined.
- Turn off the heat.
- Melt jaggery in 1 tbsp of water.
- Warm the mixture to melt the jaggery. Do not let it boil.
- Filter the jaggery mixture and add it to the rice flour dough.
- Mix well until well combined.
- Make kozhukattai’s.
- Steam cook the kozhukattai’s using idli steamer.
- To keep the kozhukattai’s fresh for a long time, store it in a hot pack.
- The kozhukattai’s will turn rough if left uncovered for a long time.
- You can also use 3/4 cup of jaggery and add 2 tbsps of molasses to the innipu kozhukattai’s.