Masala verkadalai, a great company for tea.
- Peanuts – 2 cups (I used the ones with skin)
- Gram flour – 1/4 cup + 2 tbsps
- Rice flour – 2 tbsps
- Turmeric powder – 1/8 tsp
- Chilli powder – 2 tsp, adjust according to taste
- Hing – 3 pinches
- Cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Curry leaves – 8
- Oil -1 tsp, plus more for baking
- Ginger garlic paste – ginger -1 inch + garlic – 2 big pods
- Red/Orange food color – few drops, optional
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Line baking tray with foil.
- Spray with oil and set aside.
- Mix gram flour,rice flour, turmeric powder, chilli powder, salt, cumin seeds,hing,food color and ginger garlic paste together.
- Add very little water if it is too dry (the ginger garlic paste i prepared was watery,so I did not add extra water).
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a small pan and fry the curry leaves.
- Set the curry leaves aside and add the hot oil to the gram flour mixture.
- Crush the curry leaves and add them to the mixture.
- Stir in the peanuts.
- Spread the peanuts on the baking tray.
- Bake for 5 minutes.
- Use a big spoon to toss the peanuts around. Break the peanut clusters as you toss them.
- Spray with oil.Rotate tray and bake for 5 minutes.
- Toss peanuts again.Rotate tray and bake for 8 minutes.
- Toss peanuts.Rotate tray and bake for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the peanuts to a plate lined with paper towel.
- Let it cool down completely. Store the peanuts in an air tight container.