I have tried many versions of mac and cheese in the past. Below is a recipe for mac and cheese that is a bit spicy.
- Elbow macaroni – 110 grams
- Butter – 1 + 1/2 tbsp
- All purpose flour – 1 + 1/2 tbsp
- Milk – 1 + 1/2 cup
- Yellow or White Onion – 1/4 cup, finely chopped
- Bay Leaf – 1
- Paprika – 1/4 tsp
- Large egg – 1/2 an egg beaten
- Mild cheddar cheese – 6 oz, shredded
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Pepper powder – to taste
- Follow the directions on the box to cook the macaroni. Set it aside.
- Melt butter in a saucepan.
- Whisk in the butter and whisk till it turns thick and lump free.
- Stir in milk, onions, bay leaf and paprika.
- Let it simmer for 5 minutes, until the onions are cooked.
- Remove from heat.
- Remove the bay leaf.
- Temper the egg by adding a tbsp of the hot milk mixture to the egg. Stir the egg continuously as you temper.
- Add two more tbsps of the milk mixture to the egg( the egg is tempered before adding it to the milk mixture to prevent the egg from curdling).
- Add the egg mixture and cheese to the milk mixture.
- Mix well.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Add the cooked macaroni to the cheese mixture and mix well.