Semiya kichadi is a simple breakfast. Adding vegetables adds taste and nutrition to this recipe. I have boiled the semiya/vermicelli along with the vegetables.You can also add cooked semiya/vermicelli to the cooked vegetables.I have used carrot, beans, peas and potatoes in this recipe. Vegetable semiya kichadi can be served as it is or with coconut chutney.
- Oil- 3 tbsps
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Onion – 1 cup,chopped
- Curry leaves – 10
- Serrano pepper/ green chilli – 1 + 1/2, adjust according to taste
- Mixed vegetables – 3 cups
- Tomato – 1,chopped
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp + 1/8 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Water – 6 cups
- Semiya/vermicelli – 4 cups
- Cilantro – 4 stands, chopped
- Lime juice -1 lime
- Dry roast vermicelli until it turns golden brown.
- Transfer the fried vermicelli to a plate.
- In a big wok or big wide pan, heat oil.
- Add mustard seeds and wait till it splutters.
- Add chopped onions, curry leaves,turmeric powder and green chilli.
- When the onions turn transparent, add the chopped vegetables and tomato.
- Add little salt and wait till the vegetables are cooked.
- Add water and salt to taste.
- When the water boils, add the semiya/vermicelli and wait till the semiya is cooked.
- Keep stirring occasionally until the water is absorbed.
- Add lemon/lime juice and mix well.
- Remove from heat and garnish with cilantro.