This recipe is from Martha Stewart. Tastes great and the frosting is divine.I have made this cake twice. It tastes delicious. Baking a cake from scratch is time-consuming, but it is worth it.
I start by preparing the frosting. Because the frosting has to be refrigerated before using it.
Ingredients for Chocolate frosting:
Makes 3 cups of frosting.
- Semi sweet chocolate morsels – 12 ounces
- Heavy cream – 2 cups
- Light corn syrup – 1/2 tsp
- Put the chocolate and heavy cream together in a saucepan.
- Cook on medium heat for 11 minutes or until it thickens, stirring continuously.(until it steams)
- Remove from heat and stir in the corn syrup.
- Transfer the mixture to a metal bowl and refrigerate.
- Stir every 20 minutes and refrigerate until the frosting reaches the spreadable consistency.
- Use immediately.
Ingredients for Devil’s Chocolate Cake:
Makes two 9 inch layered cake or three 8 inch layered cake.
- Unsalted Butter – 1 cup + 1/2 cup, softened.Plus more for the pan.
- Unsweetened Dutch process cocoa powder – 3/4 cup, plus more for the pan.
- Boiling water – 1/2 cup
- Sifted cake flour – 3 cups
- Baking soda – 1 tsp
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Sugar – 2 cups+1/4 cup
- Large eggs – 4 , lightly beaten
- Vanilla extract – 1 Tbsp
- Milk – 1 cup, I used skim milk
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Butter three 8 inch or two 9 inch cake pans.
- Line bottom of pans with parchment paper.
- Butter the parchment paper and dust the pans with cocoa powder.
- Tap out the excess cocoa powder. Set it aside.
- Sift cocoa powder and add boiling water to it.
- Whisk until well combined and let it cool.
- Sift cake flour, baking soda and salt together in a large bowl.Set it aside.
- Put the butter into the bowl of an electric mixer.
- Mix on low-speed until creamy.
- Add sugar to it and mix until it turns pale and fluffy for 3 minutes.
- Add eggs little my little, mixing between each addition.
- Mix until well combined.
- Mix in the vanilla extract.
- Whisk milk into the cocoa mixture.
- Add the flour and cocoa mixture in three batches to the butter mixture.Mixing between each addition.
- Divide batter among the prepared baking pans.
- Bake for 40 minutes, rotating the pan in between.
- The cake is ready when a cake tester or tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool in the pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes.
- Turn out cake on the wire rack and let it cool completely.
- Cut the top of the cakes with a serrated knife.
- Spread frosting between the cakes and stack them up.
- Cover it with frosting and decorate the cake as desired.