The ingredients below yields 5 vadai’s. Can be served with sambar and coconut chutney.
- Urad dal – 1/2 cup
- Onions – 1/4 cup, chopped
- Green chilli – 1/2 a chilli chopped
- Curry leaves – 6
- Ginger – 1 tsp, finely chopped
- Cilantro – 1 tsp
- Salt – 3/4 tsp, adjust according to taste
- Oil – for deep frying
- Soak urad dal overnight or for 6 hours.
- Grind urad dal using very little water into a fine paste.
- Add onions, curry leaves, green chilli, cilantro, ginger and salt.
- Mix well.
- Heat oil for deep frying.
- Place a zip lock bag on your left palm and coat it with water.
- Wet your right hand and take a little batter and place it on the zip lock bag.
- Flatten it into a round disc and make a hole in the center.
- When the oil is hot enough,slide the vadai gently into the oil using your right hand.
- Make sure that your fingers are wet while handling the dough (to prevent it from sticking).
- Deep fry in very low heat.
- The vadai should turn golden brown.
- Remove the vadai onto a paper towel.