Had funnel cake for the first time at The Kemah Boardwalk. It is a simple batter that is poured into hot oil using a funnel can. It is served hot and topped with powdered sugar. I use a ziplock bag to make this cake. The recipe below yields 4 to 5 funnel cakes.
- All-purpose flour – 1 cup+ 1/4 cup
- Sugar – 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
- Baking Powder – 1 tsp
- Egg – 1
- Milk – 2/3 cup
- Oil – for deep frying
- Powdered/ Confectioners sugar – for topping
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Add egg and mix it.
- Add the milk little by little and whisk the batter continuously to avoid lumps.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Test if the oil if hot by dropping a small amount of batter into it, it has to rise up immediately.
- Fill a ziplock bag with the batter.
- Cut one corner of the ziplock bag and pipe the batter into the oil.
- Turn the funnel cake over and cook both the side until golden brown.
- Remove onto a plate and sprinkle it with powdered sugar using a sieve.
- Use powdered sugar generously.
- Serve hot.