This recipe is one of my creations and is a keeper. Can be served with a spicy mushroom/paneer/tofu gravy and onion raita.
- Basmathi Rice – 1 + 1/2 cup
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Ghee – 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/8 tsp
- Bay Leaf – 2
- Cardamom pods – 2
- Cinnamon stick -1
- Cashews – 6
- Onion – 3/4 cup, chopped
- Curry leaves – 6
- Serrano pepper/ green chilli – 1, slit into two
- Tomato – 1/2 a tomato,chopped
- Mixed vegetables – 1 + 1/2 cup to 2 cups (carrot,beans and peas)
- Salt – to taste
- Water – 3 cups
- Cilantro – 3 strands, chopped
- Heat oil and ghee together in a vessel big enough to cook rice .
- Add mustard seeds and wait till it splutters.
- Add the cinnamon stick, bay leaf and cardamom.Saute for 15 seconds.
- Add the chopped onions, curry leaves, green chilli, tomatoes and cashews.
- Wait till the onions turn transparent.
- Add the mixed vegetables and let it saute until the vegetables are cooked.
- Add salt to taste.
- Add washed basmathi rice and water.
- Cover with a lid and let the rice cook on medium heat.
- Stir occasionally to prevent the rice from burning.
- When the water evaporates, garnish with cilantro.