Apple pie is a classic American dessert. My husband and myself enjoy apple pies. He encouraged me to try it out. Have tried many recipes of apple pie. My first apple pie filling was a bit dry, because I used less brown sugar. The apple pie filling recipe below tastes great and is the right consistency. Similarly there are many pie crust recipes. It is easy to mix the crust using a food processor. But I use my hand to mix it.The butter can be mixed with the flour using a pastry dough blender. I simply use my fingers to mix the flour and butter.
I have used Granny Smith, Braeburn and red delicious apples for the pie. You can use different or same varieties to make the pie.
Ingredients for pie crust and shell:
- All purpose flour – 2 cups + 1/2 cup
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Cold Unsalted butter – 1 cup (2 sticks) cut into small pieces
- Cold water – 1/4 cup
Ingredients for apple pie filling:
- Apples – 6 small apples (peeled, cored and sliced)
- Dark brown sugar – 1/2 cup
- All – purpose flour – 1 + 1/2 tbsp
- Cinnamon powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
- Ground Nutmeg – a pinch
- Ground Cloves – a pinch
- Butter – 2 tbsp, cut into small pieces
- Mix flour and salt in a bowl.
- Add the cut butter cubes into the flour and mix well.
- Use a pastry dough blender or your fingers to crush the butter as you mix it with the flour.
- The butter should not be blended completely.
- The flour-butter mixture must look like bread crumbs
- Add cold water little by little to mix the dough.
- The mixture will be flaky.
- Take a big pinch of dough and if it stays together, the dough is ready.
- If the dough crumbles, the dough is not ready.
- Add little more cold water and mix the dough.
- Divide the dough into two balls.
- Wrap the two balls individually in plastic wraps and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- In a big bowl. Mix the sliced apples,dark brown sugar, flour, cinnamon powder, salt, ground nutmeg and ground cloves.
- Let the dough rest at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- Cover counter/working surface with wax paper.Sprinkle with flour.
- Working with one disc of dough; roll it out.
- It must be big enough to cover the base of a 9 inch pie dish.
- Sprinkle flour to prevent the dough from sticking to the wax paper and rolling-pin.
- Gently transfer the rolled out dough into the pie dish.
- Use fingers to press down the dough.
- Prick the surface of the pie crust with a fork to prevent the dough from raising as it bakes.
- Fill it with apple pie filling and sprinkle it with 2 tbsps of cut butter pieces.
- Roll out the second disc of dough, big enough to cover the pie.
- Place the rolled out dough over the apple filling and trim the overhanging edges of the dough using a knife.
- Seal the edged of the pie using a fork or your fingers (pinch the edges).
- Make cuts on the top of the pie using a knife.
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Bake the pie for 10 minutes.
- Switch to 375 F and bake the pie for 60 minutes and rotate the pie half way as it bakes.
- Let the pie cool on a wire rack.
- Serve at room temperature or warm.
- Can be served with vanilla ice-cream(optional).