This is my mom’s recipe. She makes vegetable kurma once a week. Vegetables like carrot, beans, peas, cauliflower, nukal(turnip), capsicum and potatoes can be used.
Vegetable kurma can be served with rice, chapathi, dosa, parotta, idiyappam, puri and appam.
- Mixed Vegetables – 4 cups, chopped vegetables
- Oil – 3 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/8 tsp
- Onion – 1 cup + 1/4 cup
- Curry leaves – 6
- Ginger garlic paste – 1″ ginger + 3 big cloves of garlic
- Tomato – 1/4 cup, chopped
- Turmeric powder – 1/8 tsp
- Chilli Powder – 1 + 1/2 tbsp, adjust according to taste
- Water – 1 cup + 1/4 cup, adjust according to the thickness of the kurma
- Salt – to taste
Grind to a fine paste(using water):
- Coconut pieces – 1/4 cup + 2 tbsps
- Cinnamon stick – 1 inch
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Fennel seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Cloves – 3
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker pan.
- Add mustard seeds and wait till it splutters.
- Add the chopped onions and curry leaves.
- Saute until the onions turn golden brown.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and let it cook for few minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook till the tomatoes loose shape.
- Add the turmeric powder, chopped vegetables and salt. Mix well.
- Add chilli powder and the ground coconut paste .
- Let it cook for 2 minutes.
- Add water and salt to taste.
- Mix well and pressure cook the kurma ( 1 whistle).
- Mix and serve.
- Coconut pieces can be substituted with coconut milk.