Idiyappam / String hoppers is a South Indian breakfast made out of rice flour. Normally, the rice is washed, dried and ground into a fine powder to make idiyappam. I prefer store bought rice flour. It saves time and is readily available. Below is an easy method to making idiyappams. You will need a murukku press with small holes to make idiyappam.
Idiyappam can be served with vegetable kurma or chicken/mutton gravy.
Kids might enjoy idiyappam sprinkled with shredded coconut, sugar and milk(optional).
- Rice flour – 2 cups
- Water – 2 cups + 1/4 cup
- Oil – 2 tsps
- Salt – to taste
- Boil water in a nonstick sauce pan.
- Add salt and oil to it.
- Switch to low heat and add the rice flour to it.
- Mix continuously to prevent the flour from burning.
- When the flour and water is well combined, remove from heat. (will take less than a minute)
- When the dough is warn enough to handle, knead well until you get a smooth dough.
- You can also knead the dough in small batches.
- Fill the murukku press with the dough and press out the dough onto idli plates.
- Steam cook the idiyappam.
- Keep the idiyappam dough covered while you make idiyappams to prevent the dough from drying.
- If the dough is hard to press, add very little water and mix well before making idiyappam.