Guacamole is an avocado dip. Can be had with tortilla chips as an appetizer. It is our favourite. The recipe below is my version of guacamole.
There are few points to remember while choosing an avocado. The avocado has to be dark .Over ripe avocados will be too soft to touch. The avocados I use for guacamole are dark but firm to touch.Avacados will ripe quickly. Use them as soon as possible.
- Avocado -1
- Lime juice – 1 tsp (add to taste)
- Diced tomatoes – 2 tbsps
- Finely chopped onion – 2 tbsps
- Serrano pepper or jalapeno – 1 tsp,chopped
- Salt – to taste
- Cilantro – 2 strands, finely chopped
- Water – 2 tbsps (optional)
- Run the knife around the avocado, slicing it into two ( there will be a big seed inside).
- Hold the avocado using two hands, twist and pull them apart.
- To remove the seed, hold the half with the seed in your left hand.
- Attach the knife to the seed as shown in the photo.
- Move the knife to remove the seed from the avocado.
- Make cuts on the fleshy part of the avocado.
- Scoop out the fleshy part using a spoon.
- Transfer the avocado to a bowl.
- Smash it using a fork to a coarse paste.
- Sprinkle with lime juice immediately to prevent it from changing color. Mix well.
- Add the tomatoes, onion, Serrano pepper/jalapeno ,cilantro and salt. Mix well.
- Add water if required to dilute it.