Badam milk was one of my favorite drink when I was growing up. When ever my dad used to buy sweets from Sri Krishna Sweets, he used to buy us this drink. Pretty easy to make and tastes great. The recipe below serves two. This recipe was formulated based on Vah Chef Sanjay Thumma’s recipe. I used 1 % milk to make this drink. It is not necessary to use whole milk.
- Almonds – 20
- Milk – 2 cups ( I used 1% milk)
- Saffron strands – 2 pinches
- Sugar – 10 tsps
- Cardamom powder – one pinch
- Almonds or Pistas chopped – for garnishing (optional)
- Boil almonds in water for 2 minutes.
- Drain the water and fill it with cold water.
- Pop the skin of the almonds.
- Grind it to a very fine paste with 1/4 cup of milk.
- Mix the rest of the milk with the almond paste and bring it to a boil.
- Place a ladle with saffron and heat it with the steam from the boiling milk.
- Crush them and add them to the milk.
- Turn off the heat.
- Add sugar and cardamom powder to the almond milk.
- Mix till the sugar dissolves.
- Serve the drink warm or cold.
- Garnish with saffron strands and chopped nuts.
- To cool the drink faster, prepare an ice water bath with water and ice.
- Let the badam milk cool in it.