This recipe is from Martha Stewart’s show. I made them last year and they turned out perfectly. I have updated the post with new photos and have included the recipe for royal icing.
Ingredients for Gingerbread man:
- All-purpose flour – 3 cups
- Ground ginger – 2 tsp
- Ground cloves – 1/4 tsp
- Ground nutmeg – 1/4 tsp
- Baking soda – 1 tsp
- Baking powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – 1 tsp + 1/2 tsp
- Unsalted butter – 6 tbsps, at room temperature
- Dark brown sugar – 1/2 cup, packed
- Large Egg – 1
- Unsulphured molasses – 3/4 cup
Ingredients for Royal icing:
- Confectioners sugar/ Powdered sugar – 2 cups+ 1/2 cup
- Egg white – 1 (beaten)
- Lemon juice – 1 tsp
- Whole milk – 2 tbsps
- Whisk the flour, ground ginger, cloves, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder and salt together.
- In another bowl, mix butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg and molasses.
- Add the flour and mix till just combined.
- Divide the dough into two halves.
- Flatten into disks and wrap them in plastic wraps.
- Refrigerate until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Work with one disk at a time.
- Place dough on a lightly floured parchment paper and roll out into 1/8 inch thick sheet.
- Dust it with flour as needed to prevent the dough from sticking to the rolling-pin.
- Lift the rolled out dough using the parchment paper and place it on a cookie sheet and freeze for 20 minutes.
- Remove the dough along with the parchment paper from the cookie sheet.
- Use a spatula to loosen the dough from the parchment paper.
- Place the rolled out dough on the counter.
- Use cookie cutters to cut out the gingerbread men.
- Brush off any excess flour.
- Place the gingerbread men on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Roll up the extra dough and continue making gingerbread men.
- Chill the dough if required.
- Bake the gingerbread men for 11 to 12 minutes, rotating the tray in between.
- Let them cool on wire racks.
Method for preparing royal icing:
- Add sugar to the bowl of a hand or stand mixer.
- Whisk in the egg whites.
- Keep whisking until the egg white is completely incorporated.
- Add milk and lemon juice.
- Mix till soft peaks form.
- Add food colours of your choice.
- Fill icing bags or zip lock bags with the icing and decorate the gingerbread man.
- The dough can be refrigerated for up to 2 days.