This is a crispy molasses flavored cookies. Easy to bake and it is similar to the ginger breadman cookies.
It fills the room with spices and molasses as it bakes. I used unsulphured molasses for this recipe.
- Unsalted butter – 1/3 cup, at room temperature
- Light brown sugar – 1/2 cup, firmly packed
- Egg – half an egg, beaten
- Unsulphured molasses – 1/4 cup
- All purpose flour – 1 cup
- Baking soda – 3/4 tsp
- Salt – 1/8 tsp
- Ground Ginger – 1/2 tsp
- Ground Cinnamon – 1/2 tsp
- Ground Cloves – 1/8 tsp
- Ground Nutmeg – 1/8 tsp
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and light brown sugar until creamy.
- Add the egg and molasses and mix until smooth.
- In another bowl, mix the flour, baking soda,ginger,cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg.
- Add the flour mixture to the molasses mixture and mix till well combined.
- Place 1 tbsp of dough on the cookie sheet, 2 inches apart and bake for 12 minutes.
- Rotate the tray in between.
- Remove the cookie sheet from the oven and let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To prevent the molasses from sticking to the measuring cup, coat the cup with oil.
- 1 cup of molasses can be substituted with 1 cup honey; or 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar; or granulated sugar plus 1/4 cup liquid (water or other liquid called for in recipe); 1 cup dark corn syrup; or 1 cup pure maple syrup. But the taste of the cookies will not be the same. I have always used molasses and have never used the substitutes.