Cafe Gelatin is a rich and creamy dessert made of three layers.It has the mildly sweet coffee panna cotta,followed by a thin layer of coffee gelatin and then the sweet vanilla panna cotta.Panna Cotta is an Italian dessert which means ‘cooked cream’.The recipe is pretty easy to follow,but will take time.Each layer has to set before proceeding to the next layer.You can make this dessert a day ahead of serving.While eating the dessert try scooping out all the three layers at once.I have tried this recipe with three different glasses.But I personally think that the dessert in the wine glass looks better.The recipe below serves 3. You can also use small dessert glasses.
Ingredients for Coffee Panna Cotta:
- Heavy Cream – 3/4 cup
- Sugar – 1 + 1/2 tsp
- Ground Coffee – 1 tbsp,I used Folgers classic roast medium
- Powdered unflavored gelatin – 1/2 tsp
Ingredients for coffee gelatin:
- Freshly brewed coffee(strong)- 1/2 cup chilled (using coffee powder – 1/4 cup+ 1 tbsp and water – 3/4 cup+2 tbsp)
- Unflavored powdered gelatin – 1/2 tsp+ 1/8 tsp
- Sugar – 1 + 1/2 Tbsp + 3/4 tsp
Ingredients for vanilla panna cotta:
- Heavy cream – 3/4 cup
- Unflavored powdered gelatin – 1/2 tsp
- Sugar – 1 + 1/2 Tbsp
- Vanilla extract – 1/8 tsp
Method for coffee panna cotta:
- Put the gelatin powder in a bowl and pour 1/4 cup+ 2 Tbsp of heavy cream in it and let it soak for 5 minutes.
- Heat 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp of heavy cream,sugar and ground coffee in a sauce pan.
- Bring it to just a boil on medium heat.
- Turn off the heat and let it rest for five minutes.
- Add the soaked gelatin mixture to the warm coffee-heavy cream mixture and mix.
- Boil water in a big sauce pan and let it simmer.
- Place the saucepan with the gelatin-coffee-heavy cream-sugar mixture on the simmering water and whisk till the gelatin dissolves.
- Strain the mixture using a cloth.
- Pour 1/4 cup of the prepared mixture into the dessert cups.
- Cover with plastic wraps and refrigerate for an hour.
Method for Coffee Gelatin:
- Soak the gelatin in 1/4 cup chilled coffee in a bowl for 5 minutes.
- Bring sugar and the remaining coffee to just a boil.
- Turn off the heat and add the coffee-gelatin mixture and whisk till the gelatin dissolves.
- Cool at room temperature.
- Add 1 tbsp of coffee-gelatin mixture to each dessert cup,cover with the plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour after the coffee panna cotta sets.
- Refrigerate the remaining coffee gelatin in a small bowl covered with plastic wrap until it sets.
Method for Vanilla Panna Cotta:
- Soak gelatin in 1/4 cup+2 tbsp heavy cream and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Mix 1/4 cup+ 2 tbsp of heavy cream,sugar and vanilla extract in a small saucepan.
- Bring it to just a boil.
- Boil water in a big saucepan and bring it to simmer.
- Add the gelatin-heavy cream mixture to the warm heavy cream mixture and mix well.
- Place the saucepan with gelatin-heavy cream-sugar-vanilla mixture on the simmering water and whisk till the gelatin dissolves.
- Cool at room temperature.
- Pour 1/4 cup vanilla panna cotta over the set coffee gelatin and cover with a plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- While serving,scoop some coffee gelatin into the dessert cups.