It is the beginning of winter and the stores are lining up Halloween and canned pumpkins. I have seen these cans every year. I picked up all the ingredients and was stocked for making the pie. The recipe was right behind the can. I decided on a graham cracker crust. The smell of pumpkin and spices filled the rooms as I baked it. Below is the recipe for a 9 inch pumpkin pie with a graham cracker crust. I used a glass pie plate to bake it. You can also use a ready-made pie shell for a quick dessert. I have used canned pumpkin in this recipe. You can also buy a small sugar pumpkin and make the pumpkin paste from scratch. I have not tried that out. But here is an interesting post on how to puree the pumpkin – http://www.pickyourown.org/pumpkinpie.php
Found this tip at Marths Stewart’s site:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. If using fresh pumpkin, roast pumpkin, cut side down, on a rimmed baking sheet until soft, 50 to 60 minutes. Let cool completely. Discard seeds. Scoop out flesh, and transfer to a food processor; process until smooth. Freeze any remaining puree in an airtight container up to 1 month.
Ingredients for the filling:
- Sugar – 3/4 cup
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Ground Cinnamon – 1 tsp
- Ground Ginger – 1/2 tsp
- Ground Cloves – 1/4 tsp
- Large Eggs – 2
- Canned Pumpkin – 15 oz
- Evaporated Milk – 12 fl.oz
Ingredients for the Graham cracker crust ( 9 inch pie):
- Graham cracker crumbs – 1 cup + 1/4 cup
- Sugar – 3 tbsps
- Melted butter at room temperature – 1/3 cup
Method for baking the crust:
- Mix the crumbs and sugar in a bowl.
- Add the melted butter and mix till well combined.
- Transfer the crumb mixture to a pie plate and make an even layer using your fingers, covering the base and the sides evenly.
- Make sure that there are no cracks before baking them.
- There might be very small cracks after baking.
- Bake in a preheated 350 F oven for 8 minutes.
- Rotate the plate in between.
- Let the pie crust cool down completely on a wire rack.
Method for making the filling:
- Mix sugar, salt, ground cinnamon, ground ginger and ground cloves in a small bowl.
- Beat eggs in a large bowl.
- Stir in the pumpkin and sugar- spice mixture.
- Gradually stir in the evaporated milk.
- Pour into the cooled pie crust and bake in a preheated 425 F oven for 15 minutes.
- Reduce temperature to 350 F and bake for 40 minutes.
- Rotate the pie plate in between.
- The pie will be ready when the center remains firm when shaken or a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let the pie cool on a wire rack completely.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled.